What will you need to know about free file hosting?Basically you need to know stuff about:
- privacy and security level: can you reserve file access just to your friends and/or boss? Can you hide your file from search engine crawling (Google,Bing)? Is file encryption supported? (btw, usually answer is yes, but just under certain condition you need to study in deep)
- HTTPS support, for avoiding data sniffing and protection of the connection in upload/download;
- file protection, i.e: can a superadministrator read /spy any file? In a well-done system you have the right that your file can be read only by you, if you want that;
- file copyright you upload, for avoiding have problems for piracy (expecially if you set as "public" )
- documents (doc, txt, pdf, rtf, xls)
- music/sound (mp3, ogg, wav, mid)
- video (avi, mpg, mpeg,m4a)
- images (jpg, gif, bmp, png)
- compressed (encrypted) file ZIP (zip, rar, arj)
File hosting websites: what should I choose?For any service listed here, click on the name for watching it in a new window and read carefully conditions, what is allowed (upload a copy of your photos) and what is not (i.e adult videos are not usually allowed). You can expand these services paying a fee, while the order of the list is purely personal.
- Google Drive — Offers space from 15 GB (growing), is associated with your Gmail account by default and - for webmaster and geeks - gives you opportunity for static sites hosting written in JS/CSS/HTML. Keep attention that if you need a file hosting for your browser game in PhaserJS, for example, you better use a traditional web hosting better than that, because some specifical need i.e JSON file I/O seems to be not allowed on free cloud drive.
- Dropbox — Gives you just 2 GB and it is similar to Box - useful for documents and in a office environment, and you can exploit their own API for creating your customized applications.
- MediaFire — In the free version you can upload until 10 GB : fast and easy.
- ADrive if you need a lot of space for free, here you will find 50 GB.
- DivShare gives up to 20 GB, useful for ZIP, MP3, AVI formats and so on.
- 4Shared you need a social network account for using it, and gives you up to 2 GB per single file.
- RapidShare - Upload a file just for temporary reasons: after some time you do not click on it, they will delete. Not good for backup, useful i.e for sending big files to friends.
Offerte dal sito: Welio L > ownCloud + Auto Installer CMS + DNS + CDN + Backup quotidiano/7gg ( 8.13€ )
Ti piace questo articolo?